Mount Kinabalu Expedition 2016 (Part II)


(Day 3)

Didn't sleep much after dinner because it was too noisy in the dorm and also I was quite excited to hike up to the Summit so I ended up getting 3 hours of sleep when I was suppose to be getting a 7 hours of sleep. Eddy woke up to a headache while the rest of us were feeling restless.
Woke up at 1am to get ready for breakfast and also our hike.

Went to the dining hall and it wasn't as packed as its was during dinner time.
I'm guessing some decided to bail out or some decided to ascend a little later in the day.
We only ate a bit because we didn't want to feel sick later if we were too full.

After breakfast, we gathered outside to wait for our guide and that time it was 7 °C outside at 2.15am. We were all ready to go!
Weather was also good in the morning but it was really cold for me. Be sure to bring your headlamp for this hike.
Its really important or else you'll trip on the stairs or rocks. 

Unfortunately, Roy couldn't take photos on the way up because it was too dark but all I can tell you guys is that the sky were beautiful.
The sky was filled with stars like what you see on TV and lucky for us, it wasn't windy as well or else we'd freeze our butts off!

This photo is unedited as well.

He only managed to take photos when the sun started to rise a bit and the view was just too beautiful to resist.
At the same time, I was holding on to Roy's arm as I was about to give up. So close to the Summit but it was so cold!

I was struggling to breathe due to the cold and also the altitude but I kept pushing myself.
Everyone was being so supportive and kept telling me to go on because I was close (it was 1.2km away and it was the longest and coldest moment of my life I kid you not). Most of you know I really REALLY hate the cold and when the sun risen a bit, that's where the wind decided to pick up and I was about to panic because it was getting colder. 

Roy kept telling me I was so close to the Summit and this was the view from where I was. I heard people laughing and talking and I knew I was so close.
My heart was so happy but my legs and brain were telling me to quit. It was the most mentally and physically challenging moment I ever had and I was so close to crying. My knees were about to give up but I still pushed myself to reach the Summit. I even told Roy that I didn't care about the sunrise but I wanted to get up to the peak and that's it.

Here I am! 200m away from the peak! 

BOOM! I MADE IT!
I was about to cry when I sat down behind the sign and also admiring the view and it was the most beautiful view I have ever seen!
I even thought to myself, it was worth the pain, the training and also sleepless hours!


Everyone here got me to the top and I can't thank them enough for all the motivation, encouragements and also to Roy,
for all the love and support to get me up there as he promised!

Wanted to do a short boomerang video but Roy's phone died so we ended up with photos on his camera only.
I was desperate to leave immediately because it was too cold and my legs are starting to cramp so we descended first.

Thank you love!

Weeee!

Only on the way down you will realize that there is a pond nearby.
According to Roy, this is a wishing pond and people usually make their wishes here and then throw a coin into the pond.
I didn't make any wishes because I just wanted to get down to Pendant Hut in Laban Rata







On our way down to Pendant Hut in Laban Rata.
There is a post office there where you can mail postcards and it cost Rm2.00 per piece.
The stamp for the postcard is really nice! It has a picture of the peak with the height measurements.
I would really suggest you do this at least once if you get the chance!


After Pendant Hut,
we got back to the dorm to pack our stuff and then made our way to the dining hall for breakfast before our final descend down to Timpohon Gate which..was..HELL! We left Laban Rata at 10.30am and halfway through the descend, my right knee was hurting really bad and the stairs were endless. I ended up limping on 1 foot with a hiking pole and what made the situation worse was it started pouring at Layang-Layang (4km check point). It rained so hard that everything I wore was completely soaked even with a poncho on. Even my bag pack was soaked. Not forgetting my waterproof shoes which in the end wasn't waterproof at all. 

100m away from Timpohon Gate, I started cursing at the remaining stairs going up to the gate! 
I swear I would never see stairs the same way again after this expedition. 

Soaked, cold and hungry and also very pissed off but glad I FINALLY MADE IT!
Got on a van back to Kinabalu National Park and went to the car.

Drove to the lodge where Eddy was staying (D Villa Lodge) and checked in immediately.
Thank God for extra dry clothes I packed for our final night in Kundasang.
Immediately ran to the bathroom to take a nice hot shower because I was literally shaking from the cold.
Had dinner at 4pm and tried staying awake until late but we ended up crashing at 7pm.

(Day 4)

Woke up at 6am with stiff legs, took a nice hot shower and had an amazing breakfast with a nice view of Kundasang right outside!
Made plans with the rest of the climbers to visit Borneo Mushroom to shop for some organic mushrooms and headed home after that.

Organic Shiitake Mushrooms (Rm14 per kg) 

Organic Oyster Mushrooms (Price N/A)

Freshest mushrooms I have ever eaten!
Cheap and fresh and I highly recommend those who love mushrooms to visit Borneo Mushroom.

After a long visit to Borneo Mushroom, finally it was time to head back!
I was so happy when I got home. Just when I thought the torture was over, I forgotten that my bedroom and bathroom were upstairs.
Cursing and swearing all the way up and on the way down.  After unpacking, doing my laundry and everything else that needs to be done,
I finally got to lie down on my bed and I was looking at my certificate and tag. I was really glad I did this.
All the pain was definitely worth it!


Got a little souvenir from the trip.
Blood clots on my big toes and the right side of my toe looked just like Australia had just invaded it.
I realized this only after 5 days and it doesn't hurt anymore.

For more pictures, click here!
For more pictures of Borneo Mushroom, click here!

Comments